Thursday, June 19, 2014

Sick kids are the worst.

I wasn’t allowed much TV time as a kid, so I looked forward to watching TV in the evening with the family, even though it usually involved the evening news and other boring stuff. Since I was the youngest child, I didn’t get to watch a whole lot of my favorite programs until I was old enough to physically fight for the remote. The day a large man came to the house to install our new satellite (which was roughly the size of a mid-size sedan) I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Whenever I was able to watch the TV undetected, I would surf through the channels, rotting my brain and absorbing useless entertainment. That's how I discovered the Game Show Network and began to gorge myself with reruns of Family Feud, the Match Game, Password and Hollywood Squares. The only problem was that the best game shows came on during the day, most likely because their target audience liked to listen to the Price Is Right theme song over the sound of the Bingo caller. I knew I had to find a way to take a break from the stresses of childhood to fulfill my need for crappy game shows. 
In the winter of ’98 I saw an opportunity for an entire week of couch time when chicken pox hit my elementary school. I quickly learned to recognize the signs of this malady, and hatched a plan to infect myself. I chased the feverish kids around the playground  (those who hadn’t yet discovered those small bumps sprouting all over their bodies weren’t mosquito bites) in an effort to get sent home. I wasn’t the fastest kid in school, but I could certainly pick off the sick ones. 
The good news is I eventually caught the pox, and despite the fact that I had irritated most of my friends in my quest to infect myself with the disease, I felt pretty good about the diagnosis. The bad news is my plan hit a speed bump when my sister also caught the pox and we were forced to share the couch and fight over the remote and the calamine lotion. She was not a fan of game shows.  
The one thing I hadn’t thought through all the way was how cumbersome it would be for my mother. At the time, she was not only raising all of our calves and filling in on the dairy, she was also spending hours in the office to keep our business running smoothly and our records up-to-date. Having two sick kids in the house was a huge inconvenience. Luckily she’s always had a knack for taking care of us. She knew just what to do to make us feel better. This would remain true as I entered adulthood and she shared her homeopathic NyQuil recipe—which is essentially a hot drink with lemon, honey and three fingers of Canadian whiskey. The woman thinks of everything. 
I’m not a parent, so I don’t know how it feels to deal with a sick child, but I knew how much she worried about us kids when we were sick. I know I probably don’t experience the stress to the same extent, but I certainly can relate to the worrying feelings of dealing with a sick child. Dealing with calves who are under the weather is the most time-consuming, difficult and stressful part of my job. Many a night I’ve lied in bed awake wondering how a particularly sick calf might be doing (and a couple times even driven to then dairy to check). These little creatures have no choice but to trust me with their care, so when one is sick, or heaven forbid one dies, I take it extremely personally. I’m responsible for their little lives, and it’s a responsibility I take very seriously. 
That’s why when I find  a new way of caring for these animals, or discover a new tool to add to my arsenal that provides results, I use it. If I’ve learned anything during my time raising calves, it’s that dehydration is a killer. You can give a calf all the antibiotics you want, it won’t do any good if she’s not hydrated. In my experience, the most susceptible calves are those under 21 days old, and when you think about it, they’re essentially infants—they require a lot of care, and they don’t necessarily know the best way to provide for themselves, even when you provide the tools they need, like water. Free-choice water isn’t always enough when an animal is sick, especially when you’re dealing with scouring and/or a particularly stressed calf. 
It’s no secret that sick calves don’t always want to eat or drink. The most important thing you can do to help an animal over the hump is provide it with the proper hydration and nutrition. LIFELINE’s Intervene isn’t just another electrolyte on the shelf. It’s a fantastic product that provides results. It’s easy to administer and is recommended to be fed twice a day for five days. 
The feature I appreciate most about this product over other products on the market is that it isn’t just a product to replenish fluids. Intervene contains electrolytes, natural globulin proteins and vitamins and minerals to quickly get calves functioning at full capacity. I’ve used this product on a lot of calves and so far I’ve seen nothing but rapid and drastic improvements in the health of the calves. In fact, I am so pleased with the product I’ve began ordering it by the case.
When it comes down to it, I firmly believe in providing the best possible care to my calves as I can. Intervene is the best product I’ve come across when it comes to giving calves the boost they need when sick and dehydrated. I like adding some extra protein and calories to the mix to get calves focused on growing instead of scouring.
If you’re looking for more information about Intervene and the entire line of LIFELINE products, visit their webpage at calf.watchthemthrive.com. Don’t forget to share your success stories by tweeting @APCLifeline and using the hashtag #watchthemthrive.


1 comment: