Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 2... Success.

Today was a great day. Not only was I quite productive on this MLK day off of school, but I survived another day as a vegan. You know what, it's not that bad. I'm actually enjoying a change of scenery on my plate... That wasn't meant to be a bad pun, even though most of what is on my plate was scenery at one time. 

Here's a photo of what we ate tonight: Mashed potato patties seasoned with salt, pepper and basil, topped with salsa, a side of black beans, and sauteed squash, zucchini, tomatoes, fresh garlic and onions. It was delicious! We went rogue in the kitchen tonight, and it worked out! Albeit, I did try to fry the potato patties, but that didn't work out as well as I had planned.


Carrie and I also made a short video about our adventures thus far. Feel free to check it out! Here.

If you have any ideas for fun and filling recipes feel free to submit them in the comments, Carrie and I plan to make a meal on Thursday night solely from your suggestions! Stay tuned for more vegan adventures!


Food Diary for the Day
Steel cut oats
banana
coffee
vegan thai food leftovers
potato patties with salsa
black beans
various sauteed veggies

4 comments:

  1. Delicious! I feel like this is very weird, but sometimes, I thicken hummus with bread crumbs and corn meal, roll it in corn meal and bake it about 20 mins or so on or around 300. The flavor reminds me a little of fried salmon patties. Did you ever have those? My father would mix salmon with crackers and fry it in a skillet. Also, hummus and avocado are favorite vegan condiments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds pretty good! I'll have to try that sometime. I have never had fried salmon patties, but the hummus sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you have found some things that you like. I'm sort of confused when you talk about not being able to eat pb&j. Was it the bread? That's easily fixed :) I'm vegan & just had a pb&j for lunch, yum :).

    If it's not too late, here's my suggestion for your Thursday night meal: Black eyed peas & greens. I'm not somebody that goes on and on about kale, I prefer spinach. That said, it tastes good in this recipe.

    I added in a bit of lemon juice at the end because somehow kale + lemon juice go well together. I haven't made the other recipes in that post, but have had ginger + sweet potato & it's good. If black eyed peas aren't your thing, there are other recipes on her blog. The only reason I keep suggesting her stuff is that it's easy and most people really like it. plus she posts some of her recipes online :). http://www.theppk.com/2011/12/hottie-black-eyed-peas-with-ginger-sweet-potatoes-apples/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those potato patties look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete